Race in My Community

Do members of your community look like you In what ways do they lookthe same or different
     
Am Hispanic American, or so my parents tell me. I have also come to realize that indeed am of this race. There are many around me, like me. They are my siblings, my relatives, and some of the people I have interacted with like my teachers and Colonel Robert White, who I will variously mention below. I say they look like me to mean they resemble me. You could see me in them, their hair is like mine, and they talk like me. My parents always told me that I shared with such people the commonality of having some blood from Spain. But I must mention at this point that in our military installation, there exist other races. The Whites, Asian Americans and the African Americans are all found in this community. We all live together as a community
   
You can always identify a Hispanic American.  It is because there is still a distant relationship with Spain (Hoard 2005). In me and this people of my race, you will identify some elements of the Spanish culture. We for example resemble by the way we talk. You can always tell our race just from the way we talk. You cannot miss the special nature in the pronunciations and vocabulary. They are the ingredients that spice our talk.
     
Hispanics, just like any other race, have developed some key identical values and behavior (Huglin 2000).  I find Hispanics enterprising and trustworthy. These are the values I have grown seeing in the Hispanics in my community. I too have them. Violence is abhorred. These values have in the end formed the operational codes for all the races in our community. They guide our interactions, ensuring we coexist in harmony.
   
My school always taught me the same. In my elementary classes, I came across all the American races. There were whites, African Americans and Indian Americans. The values and silent codes still manifested themselves. I could see the Hispanic Americans obedient, responsive and cooperative. This however does not exclude other races from these values. It only points to the fact that these schoolmates had similar values as their counterparts back at home. Like me, they lived by these inherent values.         How do leaders within your community treat people who are like you
   
My community leaders have taught me over the years, on the need for equal treatment of people irrespective of the differences in race. Though the actions of people may not be words, you can always tell the implications and meaning in what they do. People and especially those in some leadership positions may be predisposed to using race as another measure for competency. Colonel Robert White told me. This is not the case here. This community abhors favoritism and racial biasness. We just cannot allow it here. It is disgusting. He said.
     
My dad brought this point home. He was one of the community members responsible for the selection of beneficiaries to a community scholarship program recently initiated in our military installation.  You know son how people easily disqualify themselves in this thing They just mentioned, Am white, Am Hispanic, Am African American. They think they can influence some people. They forget this place is the face of America. We treat each one equally.
   
How do they treat people who are different
When I contacted Colonel Robert White on this, he told me, I hope kid, that you have the same blood of equal treatment of all people as your fathers. He said, This place is what it is today because everyone has appreciated the fact that we are one. Our different races do not divide us. We the leaders give equal treatment and equal chances. A military installation is the heart of brotherhood across all races.
     
Our former coach learnt these lessons the hard way. This is because of the way he racially treated my friend Donavan who is a white. We went with Donavan for the trials to join our local football team. Donavan is the one who taught me these things. So naturally I feared he would be taken but not me. We did some practice on the field. Donavan showed much prowess than all of us. So it was shocking when the coach told him, Sorry son, the chances are exhausted, as you can see I try to balance my team, this one has just made it to the team. He would be my last for today.   We wondered the kind of balancing he was doing. Later on, Donavan answered, To make sure he had more Hispanics in the team to match the Whites in the other teams, This was as shocking as it was disgusting. It was a direct attack to the values that maintained our communitys existence. I declined the offer. When people learnt of what had just happened, they could not take it. The coach was forced to immediately resign. This incidence clearly points to the fact that some socially bended people may try to use race and their position to influence decisions. But the community in this place cannot take it.       How do other members of your community treat people who are like you
     
I have friends who are white, African American and Asian Americans. They all view me as an equal friend. My friend Jack, who is African American, would not treat me in any way different from the way he treats his other friends who are African American. He always tells me that Hispanics, Whites, Asian Americans and African Americans have nothing really different. Jacks dad is of the same point. He always addresses me as his own son because according to him The color of our skin makes no sense in our interactions.  Donavans father is no exception, he considers me similar in all respects to his son. He ones told me, You are safe with us son. This whole neighborhood is safe for us all. It is because from us, the whole nation draws lessons on how to treat brothers of different races. We live with love, patience and respect to each other irrespective of the race.
       
How do they treat people who are different
Our local youths club is another example of the interaction we have with people across the races in our community. In this club, we have whites, Hispanics, Asians as well as African Americans. We recently held an election. This was a good medium to test our unity as a racist free society. There were three aspirants for the post of the chairmanship. Since this post drew some remuneration, the competition was expected to be stiff. However the main highlight from this episode is how the youths went beyond the racial barrier to elect Jonathan, an African American. People really voted for him, not because of his race but because of his abilities. The outgoing chairman in his farewell address commented, It does not really matter here about race. Everyone treats you by your deeds and not your race. Do your texts or work manuals contain information by or about people like you
   
I have read so much about Hispanics. Our school was versed with texts by Hispanic writers. I enjoyed them because they brought a dimension to life that was synonymous with mine. In these books, I have read so much about our connection to Spain and the migrations. Our school library had autobiographies on people like Roberto Goizueta, who is a successful Hispanic American example. Our teachers always quoted to us examples of this people. Indeed they were instrumental in pushing us towards greater heights.     Do the local media represent people like you If so, in what ways
   
The local newspapers sometimes contain information and stories about Hispanic Americans. I always identify the Hispanic Americans by their names. In most occasions, I find stories on Hispanics always bended towards struggles in life. From them, I get lessons. Though mostly I feel there are a lot of exaggerations by the newspapers. But the stories I like most in the papers are those that bring into focus the history of the Hispanic Americans. I always feel excited when there is a mention of the Hispanic Cultural Day. That aside, Nina Tassler, is an example everyone in my community is running after for a model. They see a person with perfection in a demanding industry.
 
What are some similarities and differences between you and the peoplewho are in leadership positions in your community Do you thinkminority group interests are represented within your community
   
The people in leadership positions in my community are like me on many fronts. We share the same virtues with them especially on the need to promote an all-inclusive approach to development. I find their efforts in uniting all the races on the development agenda, a thing I too hold dear. Such is like an activity being undertaken by our local society club. The leadership of the club recently conducted a successful funds drive towards this. Indeed a number of youths across all the races in our community have benefited. Colonel Robert White (March, 20, 2010) indeed agrees that an all-inclusive development strategy, is the driving force behind the leadership in our military installation.
   
This approach has achieved a lot in addressing the various needs of the different races in the community especially the minority races. Their interests and needs have been considered and catered for, by this inclusive approach.

If you could resolve any inequities within your community, what doyou change How and why
Though our community is integrated and operates on the cultural diversity of the different races in existence, there is no full exploitation of this area. This in the end can be exploited by some, to advance a belief that we are not a unified community. To eliminate this, I propose the education of the masses on the history of the races we have in our community. This is to make them understand better the cultures and traditions of the various races hence accommodate each other fully.  Which main concepts from the text relate to race Apply some of theseconcepts to your project.   The overriding or main concept is racial barriers in socialization. As has been discussed, our community has effectively eliminated the possibilities of such barriers occurring in our interactions. Institutions in our community have been strengthened by the imperativeness of the military installation being an example to the whole nation in portraying amicable existence of all the races.

0 comments:

Post a Comment