Dealing with a workplace ethical dilemma

Each day, millions of people face the hard reality that not everything is groovy at the workplace. There are a number of ethical dilemmas that people have to deal with. Ethical dilemma is basically an ethical problem where the ethical choice includes ignoring a paramount non- ethical consideration (Marivic, n.d).  Todays workforce comprises of people that are diverse in culture, education, age and socio- economic status. Workers face decisions that may implicate their salaries and job security. The main key to preparing for inevitable ethical situation in any business is to first identify and understand their main source (Mark, 2002). As an employee the ethical choices are limited thus every law laid down by the company must be complied with. There are controversies that mount up between co- workers and the management that must be handled with impartiality and honesty.

Most times, ethics in workplace means choosing between two concepts. One may choose to keep the job and avoid the interaction of the co- workers who at times may land one into problems. Most workplaces managers are not even allowed to hang out with employees and the breaking of this rule may cause more harm than good.   If some difficulties crops up in weighing the two options then there is a need to focus on what is really right basing it on his or her priorities.

I work at a certain restaurant where the managers are prohibited to hang out with employees. However, most of the managers do not follow the rule and instead favor the employees. I hardly hang out with my co- workers because from the past experience, I have come to realize they are source of trouble. I had come to the realization that most co- workers had no respect for right to confidentiality and they would always make up stories about you to the managers for their best interest. This situation has led to loneliness in the restaurant on the grounds I am aloof and most of the time I am treated with disrespect and contempt. My self esteem has gone down on the grounds of losing trust on the managers who have no respect for the rule set aside by the company. The rest of my co- workers are being favored by the management thus they end up leading a better lifestyle than me because of the benefits they get.

I am aware that if I do compromise, personal issues will be at stake. I might end up losing my job and having a bad reputation which will have adverse effects on my family. My profession will also be at stake thus getting another job will be tough. There are two ways to of approaching ethical dilemma. There is the communal approach and individualistic approach. Individualistic approach means that every person in the organization is morally accountable for his or her behavior. The communal approach, individuals are viewed as members of communities that are responsible for behaviors of their personnel (Marvin, 2008). The main problem in my resent issue is conflicts between my personal values and values held by the coworkers and managers. The other conflict is between my basic principles and the need for results. In resolving any ethical dilemma, analysis, discussion, problem solving as well as decision making are essential (Lankard, 1991). All the stakeholders in this situation must be involved in order to have a smooth environment for everyone. This is because resolution of any conflict cannot rest in the hands of one individual and all concerned parties must be there for ethical and legal reasons (Lankard, 1991). In the next meeting on Friday, I will address the issue to the management and will gauge their opinion whether it suits my individualistic approach or not. Resolving ethical problems requires negotiation and interpersonal skills. Employability skills respect, honesty, willingness to learn, responsibility for ones actions, loyalty and ability to work in cooperation with the rest are imperative (Lankard, 1991). All workers and employees need to recognize factors guiding ethical actions and develop strategies that will assess their organizational and personal ethics.

0 comments:

Post a Comment