Salvation by Grace through Faith

Funerals are a constant reminder of how short life is.  We were created for forever to live eternally in harmony with others and in close relationship with God, but our desire to become like God and rule ourselves stripped us of our happiness.  

It all began with that one simple act of disobedience. We listened to a voice other than that of our maker giving birth to sin and opening the doorway to death.  What is a just God to do but to punish us for our disobedience we went against the word of the King  But He restrained himself and redeemed us instead and this redemption is not only one faceted Its not just deliverance from sin and atonement for guilt but a repurchase.  God in the process of salvation is buying us back from the one whose voice we have listened to in the garden and restoring us to our right state of children. Yet to all who received him, to who believe in his name, he gave the right to become children of God. John 112
Paul helps us to further understand our need for salvation in Romans 714-24

14We know that the law is spiritual but I am unspiritual, sold as a slave to sin. 15I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. 16And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. 17As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. 18I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. 19For what I do is not the good I want to do no, the evil I do not want to dothis I keep on doing. 20Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it. 21So I find this law at work When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. 22For in my inner being I delight in Gods law 23but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. 24What a wretched man I am Who will rescue me from this body of death

Im sure we can relate.  Those who suffer from a form of addiction or a bad habit like smoking can perhaps relate better.  They want to quit, but their desire alone is not enough and at times it is only after falling many times that one becomes victorious.

Now we know why, at least a big part of the why salvation is necessary, the question now is how  Who and how will we be rescued from this body of death The following verses give us a glimpse.
Death entered through sin and sin through Adam, just as sin entered the world through one man, and in this way death came to all men, because all sinned.  Death reigned from the time Adam to the time of Moses, even over those who did not sin by breaking a command as did Adam, who was a pattern of the one to come. But the gift is not like the trespass.  For if the many died by the trespass of the one man, how much more did Gods grace and the gift that came by the grace of the one man, Jesus Christ, overflow to the many  For if, by the trespass of the one man, death reigned through one man, how much more will those who receive Gods abundant provision of grace and of the gift of righteousness reign in life through the one man, Jesus Christ.

Redemption from the penalty of sin comes from one man, Jesus Christ.  The right to become Gods children again and the way to regain communion with God is only through Christ.

As for you believers, you were dead in your transgressions and sins before you became believers, in which you used to live when you followed the ways of this world and of the ruler of the kingdom of the air Satan, the spirit who is now at work in those who are disobedient. . . .We were by nature objects of Gods wrath. But because of his great love for us, God who is rich in Mercy, made us a live with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions--it is by grace you have been save.

We dont deserve Gods response (thats why it a gift and an act of Grace) but because of His great love for us God sent his son so that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have everlasting life.
The key word is believeswhoever believes in Him shall not perish.  Paul states that the gospel is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes For in the gospel righteousness from God is revealed, a righteousness that is by faith from first to last, just as it is written The righteous will live by faith.

Through salvation we see Gods love.  In a moment of crisis, God responded by giving up himself to save us.  So then Faith is the only way for us to receive this gracious act of God and thus be saved from eternal damnation.

There is big emphasis on salvation being accomplished through faith in Christ.  Ive heard some say that well Im a good person, I treat people well, and I dont steal or commit murder or adultery isnt that enough to go to heaven

The Jews were guilty of something similar they prided themselves in their relationship with God and went as far to think that in order to be saved one had to follow a set of rules, for example one had to observe the Sabbath, and follow certain dietary laws and be circumcised.  Salvation was for them and them only.  But God wanted everyone to have a chance.  Salvation was not just for the Jews but for us as well.  God was telling the Jews, youre not saved because you follow a series of laws, there is now righteousness apart from the law to which the very Law that you claim to follow testify.  This righteousness comes from God through faith in Christ to all who believe.  There is no difference for all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God (from Rom. 321).

Were saved not by being nice or good but though Faith.  Why Faith  Faith comes in so that we dont believe it is by our own power so that we dont think because Im a nice person thats why Im going to heaven.  It helps us to face our humanity and deal with the realization that were sinners and in need of a savior and no amount of promises made or how many rules followed can guarantee being with him in His heavenly dwelling.  Faith also restores our relationship with Him back to where it belongs.  We trust Him once again to take care of us and we totally depend on Him.  It helps put things back in their place where He is God and we the created.

Through faith in Christ the moment a man believes he becomes righteous an exchange takes placeChrist takes on the penalty of our sins and his righteous is imputed unto us.  Because of this we can rest in peace knowing that its not over for us every time we fall.  God remembers how we are formed and John tells us in 1 John 19 that when we repent of our sins, God is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and cleanse us of all unrighteousness.  So we run humbly yet, boldly to His throne of grace and ask for His forgives knowing that He will grant it to us.

Weve learned that due to our disobedience, our relationship was severed with God and since we cant live without our life line we needed a savior.  God sent His sent so that whoever believes will become His once more and be delivered from the power of sin and death. The only way for this to happen though is not by following a set of rules but by believing in His son, Jesus Christ.

9What shall we conclude then Are we any better Not at all We have already made the charge that Jews and Gentiles alike are all under sin. 10As it is written There is no one righteous, not even one 11there is no one who understands, no one who seeks God. 12All have turned away,they have together become worthlessthere is no one who does good, not even one. Romans 323-25

8But God demonstrates his own love for us in this While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.

0 comments:

Post a Comment