Nike Labour Practices in Vietnam

(Nguyen, a 30-year old Vietnamese man working with Nike, and Lao, his 24-year old female workmate sit in Nguyens poorly-lit one-room shack. The two have just shared a bowl of rice but Nguyen is yawning again already).

Nguyen Im surprised that you live only a block away yet we have not met before. For howlong have you worked with Nike

Lao Im pretty new. I have been there for only three months but it seems like three centuries.

Nguyen Why so
Lao Listen Nguyen. I need to tell you what has brought me here. My mother and son are visiting from the countryside and I have no money on me. I cant even feed them today,
leave alone give them busfare to return home. I need to borrow some money. If you can lend me some fifty
Nguyen Hold it right there. Lao, I dont mean to be rude but telling me your story will only be a waste of your time. I dont have any money. I have problems feeding myself.

Lao Im desperate and I promise that I will start repaying that money beginning next month.

Yesterday was payday so you might have some little money with you. Im still on probation and Im paid 30. After deductions and paying my rent and bill at the shop where I buy on credit, I was left with six dollars, which I used to buy my mother and son breakfast when they arrived this morning. I have not a single cent on me now. At least you earn much more than I do.
Nguyen Lao, I have worked with Nike for the last five years but you would call me a liar if I told you how much Im paid. Three of us live in this room. You found only me because he other two are working today. We had to live together so that we could share rent and ther costs. This month was my turn paying rent and I did it yesterday. I have sent the rest home. Im actually impressed that you rent a room alone. Most of the people I have worked with share rooms.

Lao I joined Nike on the same day as my younger sister and we shared the room. She returned to the country-side last month. She is not coming back.

Nguyen What happened
Lao Her supervisor, Mr Parker, abused her. He sent her to clean the store, locked the room and then told her to either have sex with him else she would be fired instantly. She pretended to co-operate but nearly bit off his hooked nose. His howling attracted the General Manager who was passing by. When the General Manager gave my sister an envelope stuffed with crisp notes and ordered her to shut up, my sister took the money and left for the country-side. She was trauma.
(Lao notices that Nguyen is dozing off and calls his name, which startles him).

Nguyen Sorry, I had a long night at work. The same Parker was supervising the nightshift and he ordered that all seats be removed from the room. Working while sitting would only make us sleepy and there was a lot of work to be done so he locked up all seats in the board-room and we had to stand the whole night. Eight workers had fainted by 6 am this morning, yet we had to work two extra hours. I have slept since 9 am yet I feel dead tired. My next shift begins at 6pm today and Im not sure I will survive another night on my feet.

Lao By the way, after how long can I request for a leave My grandmother is unwell.
Nguyen You are not serious, are you The only time I have been away from work in the five years that I have worked with Nike was the two days they allowed me to attend my sons funeral. He died one and a half years ago at the age of three. He did not even have the time to know his father as I only visited home about four times in those three years. I only arrived home on the eve of his burial and had to leave as soon as the ceremony was over. My wife was depressed badly yet I could not be with her a day longer as such would have led to a sure dismissal.

Lao Should that mean that I cannot go on leave
Nguyen Not exactly. It means that someone close to you will have to die so that your leave can be approved. Alternatively, you can get so sick that you cannot work, but you risk being sacked. The only other way of getting a leave is by leaving for good.

Lao But workers are entitled to an annual.
Nguyen Listen. This is Nike. This is Vietnam. The words work and leave do not appear in the same sentence, unless you are not Vietnamese. The expatriates, Parker and company, can talk about their entitlements and privileges, but not you. If you were planning for a dream holiday anywhere, then you are in for a great disappointment. But dont worry yourself. You will gradually get accustomed to working for Nike, Vietnam.

0 comments:

Post a Comment